Friday, January 24, 2014

Nora Ephron



 Sometimes I get sad that there won't be anymore movies made my Nora Ephron.  And there won't be anything else written by her.  Nothing. 

I think about this more often than not, and now that I have her book, The Most of Nora Ephron, I think about it practically every day.  She was my favorite.  She was the best.

Nora Ephron
The first time I saw When Harry Met Sally was when I was in middle school.  It was amazing.  There I was at 12 years old watching and immediately re-watching this film.  The next day I watched it again.  Then I watched the commentary.  Did I realize who Nora Ephron was at the age of 12?  No.  Did I soon find out?  Yes.

I realized that I had seen a bunch of her movies.  I realized that I loved them all!  You've Got Mail is my ALL-TIME FAVORITE movie.  Yes, You've Got Mail.  I can quote it from beginning to end.  And I am proud of it! 

By the time I was in high school, I had immersed myself in Ephron's movies.  By college I was reading her essays and buying her books for my mom (so I could read them when she was done).  I felt the need to share her with others, talk about her, show them her movies...her talent...her lists!  God, I loved her lists!  I'm a list person.

There is so much left to say that I'm not saying in this post.  So many people have memorialized her, which I enjoy and read every now and then, still, after almost two years, I'll still pull up a web article written by someone who knew her and loved her.

I miss Nora Ephron and it makes me sad.  

1 comment: