Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Syd Field



Syd Field died on Sunday, November 17 of hemolytic anemia.  He was 77.

If you don't know the name Syd Field, let me acquaint you.  Syd Field was known as "the guru of screenwriting."  He was one of the best, if not the best, screenwriting teachers the world (yes, the WORLD) had to offer.






I was lucky enough to attend the Screenwriter's Summit in Los Angeles in December 2010 where Syd Field was speaking - Christopher Vogler, John Truby, and Michael Hauge also provided their unmatched depth of screenwriting.

It was an amazing experience to be listening and taking notes from renown theorists and writing instructors.  I wanted to learn more about writing, how screenwriting worked on and off the page, and how to develop a well-written story.  I was provided much more than that.  I experienced it.  I sat among other hopeful screenwriters and it felt right.

Even when I'm not writing, I'm developing the story of my screenplay in my head.  Every single day I think about the story.  With Syd Field passing, I am dedicating my extra time at home to writing. 

It's been a busy few months.  Heck, it's been a busy year!  But that's no excuse.  I need to get this story on the page and that is what I am going to do.

RIP in Syd Field.  You will be missed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment