Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Like Oh My Gosh!

I tend to use the phrase "omg" loosely around my friends. I think it's acceptable to say "omg" around my peers in a setting where it's appropriate. In the professional world, though, it's not okay to say "o-m-g I love the new ad campaign." And even though I think the world of retailers isn't exactly a strictly professional workplace, I do believe that they should refrain from saying those three little letters that remind me why I don't like shopping very much.


Today I forced myself to take a trip to Maurices, because I was in desperate need of a shirt to go with my outfit for this career fair I'm going to on Friday in Minneapolis.


Whenever I get dragged along to Maurices with my friends, I secretly roll my eyes as the fake blonde stampers over in her high heels and her keys jingle on her wrist band bracelet - to show her superiority over the other sales associates, obviously. I listen as she asks, "How are you girls today? Just so you know, this and this is on sale and if you buy blah and blah then you get this tote for only $20.00!" Then she leaves momentarily until my friend needs a fitting room, then she hounds us again. "Try this instead, what about this color, or these pants?" Bah! Just leave us alone. If we want your help, we'll ask.


Then my friend is ready to pay. She decides to buy only one of the shirts. The blonde with the keys is flabbergasted that my friend didn't buy the other one too, because "OMG, that one looks darling on you, girl!" I keep myself entertained as I watch my friend politely reiterate that she just wants the one shirt, while the blonde pressures her to get the "super cute one."


So there I was today. In desperate need of the annoying help that I can only receive from Maurices. Luckily, the key wearing OMG queen wasn't working today. Instead, this really nice sales associate helped me pick out two shirts and a tank for a whopping $68.00 - I am now poor. Good thing these shirts can be worn with plenty of other outfits, because "omg, there are soooo cute!"

8 comments:

  1. I guess you get what you pay for --- I mean the OMG girl not the shirts, I'm sure they're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sales people are usually pretty annoying, so i usually shop online...that is when i get money i will shop online:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The funny thing is...I worked in retail for a summer. I promise I wasn't omg-ing people though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL the overcheery sales girl always make me laugh. It's not so funny when I actually need to buy something and not needing those distractions though. It's like you're making a cardinal sin when you don't buy the more-expensive new arrival items and I so dislike the judging stares.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you write. Hope a door opens for you at the job fair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Great-Granny Grandma. That really made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so true. I really need to take a trip to Maurices now!

    ReplyDelete